This does match up more in line with my Epic Reaver Titan which was the original intention. However, my success with red recently has been based more on the Vermilion on the red planet base. Still, it's early days and as I'm considering the washes having a big impact on this I'm not too concerned at the current red colour, it could easily change.
So I've concentrated mainly on the metallics, bringing all the pieces up to the same highlight stage, even if some have already had some washes on - the carapace. Should it transpire that extra metallics needed to be added post wash to just 'shine them up a bit', I don't think that'll be too hard.
But I am still debating the heraldry options: bonewhite panels, black panels, yellow/black chevrons. I'm thinking the chevrons would be nice on the Carapace, on the angled ridge on the left as we see it below. The right hand side has a little cylindrical thing that would make it look odd. But if I go with yellow/black then adding in the bonewhite panels, which will tie in the Deathwing will be another colour and perhaps too busy. Whereas black panels, will tie with the Deathwing but I'm just not confident in execution and certainly don't think I can match what I've envisaged for the Bonewhite.
What I may do is play around in Photoshop with some fully constructed images this week...
Anyway, just to let you know, PeteB, Liam, Ben and myself all had a little pre-Blog Wars warmp up, but with only 1,500 pts at the weekend. So I've three battle reports to write up but I think this is the headline folks, the obligatory lunch picture:
That's two brown rolls, with fresh-laid eggs from Ben's chickens, two sausages [one Cumberland, the other from a local butchers, made in Birkdale that had peppers in, which I don't usually like, but were fantastic] and a mound of crispy bacon. We were convinced Ben was trying to kill us off with coronaries instead of just winning the games. Good times were had by all!
Parts: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
That's awesome that you guys are close enough to each other to just hangout and have some good games! Knight looks great Dave!ReplyDelete
PeteB, Ben and I all live in the same town so that's easy. Liam's a bit further out probably 35 minute drive and Otty is about 20 minutes away. But it is cool, especially as this appeared from nowhere, it helps that Ben has enough room in his conservatory for the two tables. It was definitely the best mini-tournament we've done so far.Delete
That knight is looking fantastic. I think I am going to have to get one, which is going to put a knight sized hole in my to-do list.ReplyDelete
Previously, when faced with the same problem, I have used a coat of grey to cover the black. It improves the coverage of red pigments (as well as other troublesome shades). I have used this technique on Blood Angel figures before and it worked quite well; it really saved my bacon...
To be honest the coverage wasn't too much of an issue I just decided to make it all uniform as a starting point although considering what I did to the red last night I can't decide if it's exactly what I was expecting from my next step or it's screwed and I wished I'd just highlighted from the Khorne Red... time will tell.Delete
I thought your lunch was a new Tyranid digestion pool project at first. That knight is looking absolutely mint.ReplyDelete
Ha, ha, it's my nid VSG. I'm hoping my next update doesn't herald the project derailing, it's only the red though, the metallics will be safe...Delete