I think I managed to make it textured enough, add definition with the highlights where appropriate. The cracked slabs leading up the hill are more worn through traffic, therefore more highlights. I'll go back in with some Army Painter Washes to pick out the cracks a bit more but overall I'm really chuffed.
I probably should have done step-by-step shots but there's nothing different here than what I do on a normal base. I mixed Vermilion craft Acrylic and PVA [once again for added stickiness and perceived durability] did quite a few drybrush coats with that because the Vermilion goes on like a polish. This means you're only ever getting a semi-opaque coat, so multiple coats will build up the colour which is more hard work but you do get to control how much tone you're adding to the board.
One concern is that I had the hill in this configuration as I highlighted, obviously you try not to highlight the edges of each board because that emphasises each board piece, not the terrain but I still have to see how the terrain highlights interact in a different configuration. I had seen a blog a while back that had diagrams of how to do it but I couldn't find it for this.
Following on from the Vermilion I added a small amount of Pumpkin Craft Acrylic and did more highlights. In particular I felt that you have to make sure not to brush too hard in straight lines or else it'll look unnatural. That's not say I didn't, you just have to be very careful and when you do pick up too much paint or lay down obvious streaks it's all about working the paint with circular motions to defuse the 'shape'. Of course there are now areas that look like faded spots but I think they're more natural looking at least.
Finally I went straight to a Pumpkin highlight which was quite a step. With my Crashed Aquila Lander [which I just noticed I've not done any pics of, so I'll have to rectify that] I got a bit excited with the highlights on the Red Planet Basing and it's very orange. So what I did here was do more coats of Vermilion, a 3:1 [or even 4:1] Vermilion:Pumpkin and then extremely light Pumpkin on edges. That way it remained Red Planet and not orange.
So I was well chuffed, after about 2-3 hours I had pretty much done my board, now to do some Bonewhite flecks and then pick out the skulls and add in some shading in the cracks.
The highlights have brought this board to lfe. It's got to be absolutely incredible in person. Really nice job. I know you have some hesitations, but it's come out brilliantly so far.
Thanks Greg, all I can say is enjoy the pictures because it's getting a repaint thanks to my brother's dodgy floor varnish. It's only gone and forsted/dusted it...Delete
And beauty is fleeting, see above.Delete
Awesome Dave, it's putting mine to shame, well done mate and I'm defo coming round to your house for a game invite or no invite :)ReplyDelete
Which is why I went and sabotaged it!Delete
Damn. Now that's impressive. Great job!ReplyDelete
Up until the point I used a known dodgy product to protect it and ruined it in the process. Still I did the same with GW Shades until i finally learned my lesson.Delete
Looks awesome man!!ReplyDelete
Thanks, now it looks 'awful'!Delete
Very nice! And I love your title :)ReplyDelete
Wait until the one that says S@#T, F%^K, P*$S, T£@T, C?~T I'm an idiot!Delete
Very good Dave I can see its morphing slowly into a sphincter that's seems to be a re-occurring theme in your work?? :p don't worry your secrets safe with me ha haReplyDelete
Not so much a sphincter, just a big stupid ass!Delete
Awesome job Dave the highlights really make the tiles pop.ReplyDelete
They popped so much they had to be put down, thanks Polyvine Flat Matt Floor VarnishDelete
That really looks sharp - excellent work, man!ReplyDelete
Now it looks sh!t.Delete
A work of art, well done Dave I'd say you can't wait to have a game on.ReplyDelete
I really can't and though the varnish would allow me to do just that. I should have just gone with a coat of PVA. I knew it was a dodgy product but it floor varnish so thought it'd be super durable... oh well.Delete
That really turned out great nice work!ReplyDelete
And I get to do it all again, because I'm an idiot.Delete
The highlights have just made this board beautiful. It reminds me of my favourite Battletech map sheet, desert mountains. Can't wait to see the contrast between your full swarm and the board.ReplyDelete
Neither can I, once I do it all again ha, ha!Delete
The painted board is looking great - I particularly like the weathering with lighter creams on the Martian Red base.ReplyDelete