When last we left the Landing Pad I'd been quite content to have masking tape as the base for the detachable walls. It had texture and was flat enough so that where the walls join would not look all goofy - change of plan! Having primed the pad with Red Oxide car primer I was particularly underwhelmed by the result on the masking tape as it just looked like sprayed masking tape. So I quickly whipped up some PVA and plaster and coated the edges. I think I'd even added the first set of washes so to back track like this was quite a step. I hoped I could just spray the edges without losing too much of the wash already done. I don't usually rewind like this so if I did, trust me, it must have been sub-par.
I stupidly did not mix some water with the plaster first so the end result was a mix of PVA and plaster but it had quite a few clumps of plaster did did not mix properly [face palm]. Thus the end surface was all over the shop, my lovely flat join was gone and when I came to try and sand it the stuff was just armour plated. I was forced to using my Dremel to get through the stuff, with the end result cracked and pitted but at least somewhat level compared to when I began.
Now I'm hoping whatever sculpting I do on the walls will hide some of the mess on the join but the resultant texture and cracks on the edges are considerably better than the masking tape alone. The flatness is a compromise but I think I've done enough that it will only be something I'll notice and if I can live with it then others will overlook it.
I introduced some blue and purple into additional thinned paint washes. I wanted the sphincter to be subtly different, like the roof of the Bastion. I then did a quick dry/moist brush with Vermilion over the blue/purple to smooth the transition. The washes were all in the stretched bits to highlight the Capillary supports and lift them from the surrounding flesh colour.
Here's my test fit of my first wall. I added extra pieces of plasticard at the end, using sprue as additional support. Then I had a piece of clear plastic sheet that came wrapping my son's birthday cake. I've cut it to fit and will add Milliput flesh strands across the divide. I think I went a little short on this one. I was aiming to be Termagant head height but the Imperial one is much taller and I think I should probably add around 8mm to the others. If I'm clever I think I can add some extra height on these with the Milliput strands.
I'm obviously less concerned with the walls as a priority as it's playable without, only I'm sure if I don't push on with it I won't bother. Building the wall supports are quite fussy and making the strands will probably take about a nights work each, as I'll have to do both sides. I've also got to make sure I don't leave too much of the Milliput exposed on the rear view when I won't be able to paint it - I'll see the Terracotta. I'm hoping Tamiya Clear Red X-27 will solve the problem.
Just thinned blue paint just to add some more dimension to it.
Next step - matt varnish, then gloss varnish and then Tamiya Clear Red X-27
Really nice paint job on the landing pad Dave there's a real feeling of depth I love the way it darkens into the center.ReplyDelete
Thanks McCabe, I had to do something to make it more 3 dimensional, all the foam I removed I kind of replaced with clay! So it's not as 3D as the Bastion roof in some respects.Delete
Amazing Dave, I'm looking forward to fighting against it, you can give me another arse whooping :) if you take the sky shield to TOS will you leave your bastion behind?ReplyDelete
Ha, ha, of course not. I'm going Stronghold Assault and taking an Imperial Strongpoint - Skyshield, Bastion and Aegis with assorted upgrades.Delete
I would even have taken my Honored Imperium statue, despite not getting any benefit from it if it wasn't going to cost me 40pts for the privilege.
I'm going to need all these stout walls to keep me alive!
That is fantastic! Disgusting, but fantastic! :)ReplyDelete
Thanks, I did fear it was getting a bit cartoony, glad to know I can still turn your stomach ;)Delete
Man it's embarrassing watching the dust accumulate on my tyranids while you keep on turning out amazingly cool stuff. Keep going - it keeps me motivated for those chances I do get to pick up a paint brush!ReplyDelete
But it's the hobby side that's inspiring me because as we both know the Codex isn't! Ha, ha! The problem is my love for painting the nids is actually overtaking my common sense.Delete
I should be focusing on my Dark Angels, although they are probably slightly more competitive winning isn't my 'raison d'être'. But they will potentially offer me a slightly less frustrating experience and I need to stop the dust settling on them! I've big, BIG plans for the bugs and if I continue down that route I doubt I'll make any progress on the Dark Angels at all!