It's been a considerably long time since I've used Milliput and I recall I hate the stuff on my hands. The chemical reaction makes it hot and it sticks inside all your finger prints so my Mother-in-law kindly got some rubber gloves for this, which have also come in handy when I've been cleaning miniatures. So the Milliput was simply flattened out, I tried a mini rolling pin but it just stuck to it. I used a pair of scissors to cut the rough shape then stuck it onto my Pot Pourri thing and smoothed it with a bit of water, adding marks into the edges with a sculpting tool. Some of the smaller plates on the tentacles aren't so great and I'm sure with a bit more effort, or practice this would have been even better. As it is I think it'll do the job nicely and I thin kthe paint scheme will enhance it further.
The crater base had a coating of sharp sand to tie it in with the rest of the nid bases, the tentacles look a bit too long but as they have a range of 6 inches they're probably a bit short. MOst ikportantly it's progress and on something I am less familiar with which automatically puts it in the difficult job list and so now it's out of the way it's down to painting it. I'mm going to give it a coat of PVA and then I need some white primer. Thankfully, eurocarparts has some white and red oxide Simoniz stock back in, at £3.98 for 500ml with free postage it's the best offer I've found online. However, I'll be in Southport at the weekend and see if I can find any cheaper at the Range or Wilkinsons.