But, I've really enjoyed doing it. I applied the Vallejo Rust Model Wash, mixed with Secret Weapon Rust Orange weathering pigments. It got a bit unrealistic in places so I tried toning it down with sepia wash, which worked.
I did forget that ultimately the matt varnish will tone this down even further but this stage is pre-varnish but effectively completed as I wanted to capture it at this 'save point'.
You can see where I've added numbers and how challenging it is to fit round some of the rust and weathering.
Oopsy. Here's where I stuffed up the number 7 stencil and had it too far away from the 2. It is quite annoying but I don't want to go back into it so it'll just have to be imperfect.
Some decals on the centre panel too. I chose to replicate those used on my Hapag Lloyd containers. These were from the old vehicle decal sheet. A quick sepia wash over the top helped them blend in.
However, the skull in the black diamond - it didn't register with me you wouldn't see the black diamond, or that there are skulls embossed in the centre of each panel making the warning symbol somewhat redundant.
It doesn't really matter though, it just adds a little bit more detail and texture to it. The control panel and servo skull got finished off too and all the buttons will get Tamiya Clear once it's varnished. The lights above and below the door will also get a coat.
At some point I'll have to do the Storm Bolters that go on the top but I'm really pleased with weathering. It is far from the recommended process - salt of hairspray technique but I think it works really well and was a lot of fun to play around with.
The more I try the more I'll experiment and maybe one day get even more realistic. This is effectively complete but I add a Great Big BLESSED VERDIGRIS Stamp of Approval when all three are done and varnished. For now I may just take advantage of my Great Big BLESSED VERDIGRIS Minor Stamp of Approval! I don't usually get to use it so any excuse.
Post a Comment