Despite having painted a test model I didn't consult it, otherwise I'd have noticed that not all the backpack was rusty, some was also cream. But, I'm not that bothered now I've compared them.
The following night I went in with my out of print Home & Bargain, Colvin & Co, Burnt Umber art acrylic. This stuff is so good, when i run out I hope I can find something else which achieves Blanchitsu level oil effects. I also went back in with some Vallejo Game Extra Opaque Heavy Red.
Again, it's an irony that thinning it down gives a great effect. It will be shaded back but I needed better coverage at this stage. The browns though, there's part of me that wishes I could leave the armour like this and just work on all the fine details.
I still need to decide on how to handle the cloak on the marine on the left but this felt so easy to do, really quick and the results are already satisfying - bring on the next session.