I decided to paint over the green doors, they may have fit with my Deathwing Knights eventually but for some reason I wanted to reduce the palette just with the bone and red.
Out of curiosity I spent 10 minutes playing around with my cheap Burnt Umber art acrylic - stippling on, watering down, just having fun. I know a lot of people do this sort of thing with oil paints but I'm amazed at the effect I can get with this paint.
There's still questions about how further highights will look, or whether I should add the highlight first before I put the shading on. There's some Army Painter Strong Tone been added in the deepest recesses too.
I added some more metallics. This is actually Army Painter Worn Iron - a Warplock Bronze equivalent and I have to say it is great. Lukes Aps did a review and advice on Army Painter paints as they admit they put too much of the acrylic medium in to make them better. However, that makes them slightly difficult to use straight out of the bottle. That said, this Worn Iron didn't need any shaking and I still needed to thin it down so it would cover better - flow off the bristles and yet still be really opaque.
There are still some more bits to paint bronze, details, the heavy flamers, all of the track wheel end caps. Then I'll be at a stage where I'll be highlighting with Balthasar Gold. This will sync up with my Deathwing Knights - in a stroke of efficiency to do them both I've ended with the masochistic task of doing loads of brassy bronze metallics at once! However, I think the Knights will be the more laborious task. I am hoping that this will be quite a relaxed project - I have almost no expectation for the outcome, nothing has to be perfect - although I have added a few Dark Angel details since and some simple heraldry markings. But it's going to be quite grunge, maybe a little battle damaged but overall just play around and sod the results - it's very freeing.
I think this is going to be great, you have a strong start for sure. Liking the weathering from the Burnt Umber. I keep meaning to try out paints like that.ReplyDelete
I'm ecumenical about my paint usage, I use what works and what gives me the result I'm after. The interesting by-products of some of these choices have created new ways of working and effect. It's always worth experimenting.Delete
You will probably want to do highlight first, unless you are going back over the raised edges with bone, then highlight - depends if you want the grime to just be in recess or as the shots above show, in places slightly over the raised edge?ReplyDelete
Looks nice btw and I think the loss of the green avoids the 'christmas' look that some DA suffer from - so its a Yes from me. Rob Hill did my mates Landraiders in bone - https://30kplus40kequalsinfinity.blogspot.com/2017/05/hobby-space-bomb-site-and-deathwing.html heavily weathered and they look great, very fitting for Deathwing.
I'm not a fan of the Christmas tree, hence why I dropped the red gun casings on the rest of my Dark Angels. However my Deathwing Knights feel like they'r0e heading that way. I considered red robes but it looked odd so went with the standard green and now I'm conflicted.Delete
As to the weathering, I may well have to do that highlighting first, I'm suddenly dubious about next steps. Nothing like a crisis of confidence to stall progress.