Monday, 11 April 2016

'nids part 196 - Deathwatch Overkill

Shortly after Throne of Skulls the Amazon marketplace price for Deathwatch Overkill stabilised and I was able to pick it up for £87.62 [supplied by Wayland Games] but I had a shedload of Amazon vouchers so it only set me back about £16 overall. Quite often Amazon Vouchers are given as gifts so it's handy to find an option on getting a good deal and make the best of use of them and not feel guilty about hobby purchases.


I'd really like to play the game but really want to have the models painted first!


One thing I have noticed, is that the mould lines are quite pronounced on the sprue. It's not as bad as the Genestealer sprues from my Deathstorm, they were shocking but that was presumably an old mold. This however, is a modern mold, and so much of GWs plastics now requires minimal effort to clean, apart from sprue removal. However this was surprising and as there are identical sprues it's not a one-off as they're both similarly affected, although they could have been molded concurrently. It's certainly nothing worth complaining about but I would be interested in knowing if anyone else noticed this.


So, having made savings on the box I then went and blew them on some resin bases. I'd figured that making some rubble bases like my current cultists would be too time consuming [although I may regret the disparity in styles eventually]


I also noted that models I'd seen at GW poly-cement glued to the bases had their feet melt a little bit. I wanted these to stand on top so I looked into the various manufacturers and opted for bases4war due to the great value and range of all sizes in their battlefield debris range. Ben is using their Dragons Causeway range for his Skitarii but I also like the Hive range. Regardless you really do get a lot of bases for your buck and the casting is great and they've been belt sanded afterwards so are perfectly flat.


Of course the time saved not making my own is now completely wasted as I have to mill out flat areas to mount the hybrids, which is messy and time consuming and obviously costly [despite the great value] compared with using the supplied bases and my own basing materials. Not to mention that milling the bases means they're now sunk in the dirt instead of standing atop as was my initial beef with the models! Still, I wanted to try it and these models do deserve quality bases and hopefully I can still make them match my other bases, which is the challenge.